Thursday, August 19, 2010

Last day at Elite

Brabo gi

Unravel the gi on the underhook side, pull it behind their head. Allow them to use an underhook to get on their side. Whizzer thru and grab the lapel. If there isn't a tight grip allow them to come up more, sprawl out. Grip the top side, pull up on the lapel and lean your head to your side NOT OVER THEM.

Handcuff armlock
Pull out the gi and wrap it over their wrist. Move your hips toward their head,
step over into mounted triangle, shift hips over and squeeze knees for the armbar, or roll thru for the triangle.

Gi monson or whatever.

Use the handcuff thing, pull your lapel out wrap it around their head. Straighten your arm, step over their head, move n/s hips forward.

Easy stuff but fun. Rolling was fun. First against Ross (he's like superman's great grandfather). Played closed, revisited the scissor sweep. It worked well, set it up using feet on the hips hand in the collar/sleeve, squeezed my knees, hipped out, perfect sweep felt good. Took back from mount, he kept grabbing my fingers and holding my sleeve. I tried to go for the ezekiel from the back but he just held onto my sleeve. He spun back to guard when I went for the armbar. Tried some other sweep from half, swept and passed.

Next up was Mike very cool purple who's been training at elite as long as I can remember, been training much harder recently. We started he pulls guard and I work to pass. He puts me back to full guard and I work on using Phil's low pass, defending the collar chokes, moving off the the side, grabbing the pant leg. Pass into half, I leave too much space he gets the underhook. I try to do the brabo buy he comes up too much. I switch to the reverse pass from half, control his leg, and do the "samurai"/roll over into the back position . We have to reset cause some white belts were going to sit on his head. We reset but he tries for the kneebar, I control the position and move into the 50/50, I was going to toehold but I like Mike too much+it was the last day . So timed out.

Last was nick the super brown belt. This guy is a monster and he's also a lawyer. (pretty sure there's a joke in there) We start out in his guard, I'm able to do much better, passed again only to have him recover and use his sitting guard to sweep me. It's kicking my ass. On bottom I try my usual tricks but no dice, butterfly and de la riva just negated, almost got x-guard to work on him but his passing game is too smooth. He was working knee ride (felt like my insides would rupture ) escaped to half only to have it passed into mount, where he would finish with a straight armbar. Next I pulled guard in an attempt to make something interesting. I worked my sweeps, and tried a collar choke he stood broke guard. Then it was back to Kyle trying to come under Nick and him basing, only to pass. Got choked with the n/s gi choke they showed, that was embarrassing. Tried passing his guard again, focused on slowing down and switching my hips like he does putting pressure forward. Again I got swept from sitting guard. He finished the round by trying to armbar me while I burnt myself out. He asked me to stay after and of course being the glutton for punishment that I am, I accept. I spent the next 20 minutes being his submission dummy, with him passing my guard. To quote Forrest Griffin in a recent interview, "It was like a kid trying to wrestle with his dad". Oh wells I still learned I'm a long way from being a legendary brown belt. I swear he needs to get his black belt before I get purple belt, how else will I feel like a phenom!?!?

Rolled with a white belt after, did my best to play Roger Gracie. Used Roger's kimura/"classica" sweep variation, passed into mount and finished with cross collar choke. Then talked shop with Einnor (joke) and Ryan, showed them all my cool shit I've been working on before I left. Other than that. It's adios Houston, viva la Waco. Also I think I'm getting promoted next weekend, Phil asked me to come down to Relson's seminar. This is when he loves to promote people. Oh well no more sandbagging.

No comments: