Sunday, September 19, 2010

Texas Open!

So went and competed in Austin at the Texas Open. It was great time, we went and weighted in early Friday and I found out I could've cut to 154lbs for the tournament but whatever. Me, Jeremy, Dave, and Joe stayed at Georgette's place (she's a ferocious blue belt from Relson Gracie Austin, check out her blog it's 10x better than mine). We went to compete at 11 which was nice since we got to sleep in a little. After the pre-tournament ritual of downing a 5 hour energy and a banana we headed off. During my first nogi match I tried to work some takedowns but no dice this guy was big and a wrestler. I pulled butterfly guard worked a sweep he grabbed my head I disengaged and came over the top for a triangle, switched to a belly down armbar. He turns out of it, and I hook his leg, snag the ankle lock and put it on hard for the finish.

I get a bye in my second match, watch a dude who looks like Carlos Newton submit his opponent with an anaconda choke, and his previous opponent with an ankle lock. It was us up in the finals.
I pull out the flying armbar once we lock up, but he slips out. He grabs my head, tries the anaconda but Jeremy has way tighter chokes. I sweep, pass, and escape to side. He starts to sit up I anticipate grab his head and show him my guillotine! First place by submission!

Next up gi. I go out pull guard, work all my sweeps and transitions, but nothing time runs out. In retrospect I just didn't commit to any of my attacks. So he gets takedown points and I lose in OT.

I decide later to compete in nogi absolute! I pull a veteran brown belt for my first opponent. I figure I've got nothing to lose. I go out with all intent and purpose believing I can win. I attempt an armdrag, try a flying guillotine, but both are shook off. I knew I didn't want to be in his guard so confident in mine I dive for deep half. I sweep to come up on top, he grabs my head trying to choke I dive back deep half, he bases and stands to pass. I swing my leg over try for the kneebar, switch to the toe hold. I think about letting it go, but hear Dave's voice, don't let go! I switch my grip and push tighter....tap! I thank him, get my hand raised and go off to get some water. Next up is a giant pro mma fighter. I attempt a flying guillotine after some hand fighting, and....it's sunk in flush! Except at the last moment before I can wrap him up I'm sent horizontal in the air. He sets me down in side, I shrimp out to guard. I throw up an armbar attempt, switch to a hip bump sweep, look for a kimura, and go for a guillotine. No dice this guy is just too strong. He grabs my arm pins it behind my back, moves from half into mount, I free my arm, move back to deep half. Sweep he tries a choke on top, I go back to deep half, trying to work my leg locks, he grabs a d'arce. I try to sweep to free myself, but hesitate and tap. No big deal tried my best.

Next up I fight for third place in nogi absolute. He sits guard, I look for an ankle lock he gets worried I use the hesitation to pass into side. Wrap up a kimura when he turtles, use it to take the back, sink in the RNC for the victory.

Over all great day!

1 comment:

Georgette said...

You craaaaaazy ;) Congrats on killin' em this weekend. You guys are welcome any time :)